"Then it is dark; a night where kings in golden suits ride elephants over the mountains." - John Cheever

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Couple of interesting articles from yesterday's Telegraph

Med 'may get too hot for holidays'

With average temperatures expected to rise by up to six degrees [by 2080], we could be spending our summers in Ireland, northern France, the Baltics and southern Scandinavia, and avoiding Mediterranean beaches except in spring and autumn...

Another approach to Fitzrovian Tuesday's favorite subject - significant global warming is expected, no question, and hey! we might need to change our holiday plans in 74 years.

Over-reacting to terror is no way to defeat it

Excellent op-ed by Sam Leith on last week's shenanigans.

2 comments:

Tom said...

Is the Telegraph now your paper of choice? Must say, all your recent links to it have been very good, so maybe there's more to it than their Europhobe/fox hunting obsessions.

John said...

Yeah, bit of a fan of the Torygraph. Someone told me a while ago they thought it was a very humane paper and that's about right I think. Not nearly as reactionary as you might suspect and very well written. The features sections are a maybe bit "Home Counties stockbroker" oriented... (but I actually quite like this too).

The other paper I used to read fequently was the International Herald Tribune - international news from an East Coast liberal'ish perspective, excellent leaders and opinion and proper American funnies at the back (Dilbert, Doonesbury, Peanuts, Beetle Bailey, Blondie). Aditionally the sports writing is *ridiculously* good, even on U.S. sports one knows absolutlely nothing about (all of them in my case). As far as I can remember I got into reading the IHT on honeymoon in Sorrento in the wake of 9/11 - it was the only English language newspaper I could easily get hold of. When I was working in London I was able to swipe a free copy from work at the end of the day and read it on the 73...