"Then it is dark; a night where kings in golden suits ride elephants over the mountains." - John Cheever

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Doom and Gloom

I think we've had it. Little prospect of the politicians agreeing anything tangible at Copenhagen, nevermind anything like what's needed. Meanwhile, the scientific prognosis seems to get worse and worse, while the general public continue to show astounding levels of uninterest and scepticism about global warming. I just don't see how we're going to get out of it.

3 comments:

John said...

Hey Tom try not to wreck the present by worrying too much about the future (to paraphrase Janis Joplin). I am totally not one to talk.

Col said...

John's right, you've got to keep the faith - it's too depressing otherwise.

Though this doesn't help either.

I've just read this - really recommend it. I've posted about it before, but I actually bought the hard copy and read it properly. Though it's by a physicist, it's very readable and quite entertaining (apart from some of the more technical appendices). We've got our work cut out for us though if his sums are right. The good news is that he's now been made a government adviser, so with any luck might have some influence.

As a result of that and several other books I'm becoming very pro nuclear power. We're going to need it, and its now becoming the lesser of evils.

Tom said...

Yes, although I admittedly don't know much about the science, I'm becoming pro nuclear power on the basis that it's the only option we've got. Objections from Greenpeace etc about how we should be moving towards less energy use and switch to a new value system are all very well, but it just isn't going to happen. Or at least, not in the timescale to avoid catastrophe.