"Then it is dark; a night where kings in golden suits ride elephants over the mountains." - John Cheever

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Paxo Redux

Don't know if you saw Newsnight tonight, but Paxman demolished some dithering mediocrity of a junior govt minister, with responsibility for climate change. Following a 'package' claiming that we need to spend 1% of global gdp to avert catastrophic climate change, Paxo quizzed our man.
Him: We're spending £500m on renewables.
Pax: Over what period?
Him: er, 5 or 6 years
Pax: So how much have you spent on Iraq?
Him: Well I don't have the exact figures to hand, Jeremy
Pax: Well let me refresh your memory - £4.5bn and counting. Do you think that's proportionate?

5 comments:

John said...

I find myself tending not to bother with TV news programs - bad enough reading about the state of the world without getting a video feed into the living room. Classic Paxman though, I agree.

Col said...

He tends to come across as a pompous bully these days, but still has his moments.

Tom said...

Yes, sounds like he was on form, though I've actually found him pretty unwatchable for the last few years. I'm addicted to news websites, but like John, increasingly struggle with TV news. Even the BBC news is sensationalist, polemical and shallow compared to online, or else covers subjects (Royal tours, Westminster gossip etc) of no interest.

Col said...

I know what you mean. I rarely buy newspapers anymore either - I get all my news from the radio and internet. My point in posting this was less about Newsnight and more about the relative amounts spent on Iraq and climate change.

Tom said...

Yes - and it's a point well worth making. Just another instance of how much better off the govt (and us) would all now be if it had avoided this entire fiasco.